Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Otimo! (ocheemo!) Great!!!

Wow so another week has already flown by.. some of the days have kind of crawled by, but all in all, I cant believe I have been a missionary for 2 weeks now! I have a feeling this mission is going to fly by.

I am loving being a missionary- and I feel like each day I get more and more excited to be here. I love being able to wear a badge that has the name of Jesus Cristo- it is so powerful.. but unfortunately I have already forgotten to wear it a few times. By far its the worst thing to forget. oops. Between me and my companion we seem to be loosing or forgetting something every couple of days haha. Who said that Sisters are more responsible than Elders? I think not.

The elders in my disctrict are great, there are 8 of them, all from really different backgrounds. I spend about 12 hours with them everyday.. learning português, learning the gospel.. etc. We have a lot of fun together. Apparently our teachers complain that we are too happy! haha what a problem! It is so exciting to see each of us progress and learn more. All of the elders in my district are going to the Amazon- and i know they will do so much good there. My companion Sister Donaldson and I are having lots of fun- she is really good at asking me questions that make me think. It is really fun to have a companion who loves to learn!

Oh and every week we are each suppose to prepare a talk and then on Sunday our branch president randomly picks missionaries to talk. Unfortunately, Sister Donaldson and I are the only girls, and the love to involve the sisters.. so last Sunday I got called up to speak. I spoke on how the gospel blesses families, and I shared a little bit of being able to be there for Jen getting married in the temple. THe spirit was strong, and it went well. I am really really glad though that I didn´t know until AFTER I spoke that the visiting president was President Harris, who I think is an area authority. He spoke afterwards, and told us that he Had been in the Quorom of the 70 for the past 9 years. ahhh!

haha, but He was an amazing speaker. He was so loving and powerful, and taught us how the Quorom of the 12 organize their scripture study journals. Lets just say I have completly changed my ways of my study journal now too.

My favorite part about being here though are the brazilians. THey continue to amaze me. Half of the missionaries here are brazilieros. and each day as I sit by them in lunch I hear the most amazing conversion storeis. I think most of them are converts from the past couple of years, and many are the only members in their family. Incredible. Oh and my brazilian roomates just get more fun each day! haha. THey help me read the book of mormon in português, and now we are helping them read it in english. EVerything we do or touch we say in portugues and english and I tell you what, some english words are so funny... including my last name. No one can say monroe... it somces out "morrow" Even to my teachers I am sister "morrow"

Last night we had the privilidge to hear from the president of the CTM, Presidente Cardon. He talked about his family- 20 years ago he adopted 5 brazillians and he was telling us about it. He started talking about orphans...... and wow you can imagine how much that got me. I think we all know how much I love orphanages. He is a great great man!

Ok well I better go, I have a lot left to do today.. our Pdays are really full because we get to go to the Campinas Temple. It is a beautiful beautiful temple! I have been learning so much... I am so glad to be here.. I keep thinking each day that I cant be happier, but then I wake up the next morning, even more excited. I love it here, and I love you all!

I will just leave you with my mission scripture, which I love because it is so triumphant and happy. Because indeed, the gospel is so happy because we know that it will triumph!

D&C 128:22 "Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. "

Com Amor- Sister Melanie Anne Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home