Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ugly Sister Missionary at Last!!!!

Ugly sister missionary at last!!!!

hey hey! Yes I love P days!! This has been an awesome past week, I feel like I have had so much fun, and learned so much- its hard to believe that it has only been a week.

So Let me explain the subject line first off... yes, on Monday, we had an ugly sister missionary day at the CTM, and yes, yours truly did help to arrange it. ha-ha. Only about half of the sisters joined in- but let me tell you, that was more than enough sisters. it was HYSTERICAL! I wore this very sister missionary skirt that has a bunch elastic top- (Mom, remember this is the skirt that you made me get and said that I would wear it.. well i wore it all right!) But I pulled it up really really high, and then my companion made me wear one of her hideous button up shirts (I can say this because my companion refuses to wear this shirt) It looks like a print that you would find on a D.I. couch somewhere. Yep, I hope that brings the right image to mind. SO anyways, I wore that, and that was huge huge on me, it looked like I had no body shape at all, and that I had gained 50 pounds, and then I had this elastic bunch skirt on bottom... AMAZING i tell you. And the other sisters...ha-ha! It was really really bad, and so funny. We all looked about 30 or 40 years older.

The best reaction was in my district. All of the Elders tried to look like they didn’t notice... they did the double take look, and then the "we just wont say anything about it but try not to look" kind of face... ohh I about died. Then one of them finally asked my companion.. "uh hey sister.... you um.. haven’t worn that... uh... dress yet." ha-ha. And then we explained our funny day to them, and they thought it was hysterical. Good fun... as you can see, I have managed to keep my full personality in full force... hahaha.

Oh and super super exciting! Last Friday, they drove our district into the middle of Sao Paulo, next to some bus stop, and dropped us off with a stack of pass along cards. it was sooo much fun!!! I finally felt like a real missionary... and I was shocked at how bold I was.... I had no problem going up to anyone and talking to them. They all seemed to understand me, for the most part I was able to say everything I wanted to say to them- granted everything I wanted to say was very very simple sentences... and there were only a few people I couldn’t understand when they asked me questions. It was great, and the best part was that I really felt the spirit testify to some of those people. There was one girl that looked really touched after we gave our little testifica to them, and she had this light in her eyes- ahh I wish I could of gotten her number and followed up. Our whole district had an amazing experience; we were all so excited afterwards.

The best part came at the end though- We were waiting to get picked up and there was a group of teenagers standing across from us, just staring at our district. I had the feeling that I needed to go talk to them, so I snagged an extra pass along card that one of the other Elders had, and I dragged my Companion over there, and started talking to them. I am shocked at how bold I was... I introduced ourselves, and asked them if they believed in God... some of them were smoking- they kind of looked like a gang- but I talked to them about Christ, and told them my little message- even though some of them said they only believed in science- they said they would call. But it was just awesome being able to talk to them! The greatest part is that when my teacher saw that it was just me and my companion talking to this group of teenagers, (all of the Elders were across the street) he freaked out! ha-ha.. He was really nervous for us, but I didn’t feel nervous at all. It was awesome!

It is really funny being a blonde in Brazil... I am sure I will have more stories about this later... I got some crazy looks in Sao Paulo.. but I just took advantage of it. If they looked at me, I would go straight up to them and start talking about the church, they sure got a lot more then the bargained for! ha-ha. I did have a few guys ask me if I was married, but I tried to change it to asking them about Futebol or their family. ahh its great. My companion is really tall too, and so that in itself is funny- 2 tall American girls out to get Brazil!! Yay!

Um let’s see... other then that the Portuguese is coming along... We didn’t get new Brazilian roommates... we are hoping tomorrow because my Portuguese is lacking.. it really forces you to talk. Other then that I am just loving being a missionary- if you couldn’t tell :)

I love my companion, she continues to push me to be more obedient, and I think she helps calm my wild side! ha-ha.. She is awesome, and with her help I feel like I am learning how important this work is... It really is so exciting and so amazing that the Lord lets us help in this work. I feel so grateful every day that I am here, I can’t imagine being anywhere else- I love this work- and I love the chance I have to learn and grow here. Today we went to the Sao Paulo temple, and the whole time I kept thinking how incredibly fast the work is growing here in Brazil... I hope that I can see the day when they have a temple in every state here- how awesome would that be! anyways, I better run.. Thank you thank you thank you for the letters!!!! I have been so touched by all of my friends who have written me. I have read each of the letters at least twice... Thank you!!

Oh and one more thing- last Saturday we had a fireside on the Atonement... it was so incredible. They quoted Joseph Smith saying that no matter how important the other parts of the gospel are, they are only appendages to the Atonement. I heartily agree... this is the gospel of Jesus Christ! I have been reading a lot about Christ like attributes and continually feel like I have so much to change... If you have Preach my Gospel, read the chapter on Christ like attributes. That in itself I feel is a lifetime pursuit... To mold ourselves in the image of Christ. What an awesome thing that we have that knowledge of how to improve ourselves and what things we have to work on..(even though sometimes I might wish I didn’t know how much I have to do!!) I love this gospel, and I love my Savior... I am so grateful for his confidence in me, and it is His Confidence and His love which makes it possible for me to learn any Portuguese at all, and for me to be here!

Com Amor
Sister Melanie Anne Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home