Monday, September 18, 2006

Avacado with sugar and other specialties

Yes there you have it- I realized this past week that I hadn’t written about this interesting and quite different Brazilian food. The Brazilians eat avocado like a fruit- they always, always put it with sugar, and make avocado milkshakes, or just mash up avocados and put sugar with it. Its way good! It just seems like I am eating a different fruit really- not avocado. I actually made some guacamole the other day for a family here, and they all thought I was mad when I was making it. They all tried it however, and said they liked it... I am not quite sure they were completely telling the truth however! Ha-ha. But other food that has been a huge hit with the Brazilians have been German pancakes- they love this recipe! Ha-ha. And cookies too... Sister McAllister and I only made these once like 2 weeks ago, but since then I have been getting questions about it.

Hmm while we are on the topic of food... I thought you all might enjoy a recipe. I haven’t made this, its from a Brazilian sister- and the way Brazilians measure things are a bit different... ok well its actually non existent. They just throw things in, sabe. And so if this cake doesn’t turn out, (cake is bolo in Portuguese by the way) don’t blame me! Ha-ha. But yeah, it’s a recipe for carrot cake, which is way way different her. Way good, and I will write the chocolate frosting too... but I really hope it works out! Ha-ha!

Bolo de Cenoura (Carrot Cake!)
3 eggs
3 carrots (ok maybe like 4 or 5, the carrots are bigger here)
1 cup oil (this seems like a lot......I don’t know)

Ok so they put all this in a blender... yes everything here is made in a blender! so yep, blend it all up in that liquidificador (blender)
Mix together-
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
Then put the egg mixture in the flour mixture slowly.
Then put in1 Tablespoon of Yeast

Then you bake it. I don’t know how long or what temperature.. sorry. They don’t have that kind of thing here. You just throw it in.

Then for the chocolate topping! (yum)
1.5 cups of milk
6 tablespoons chocolate (like um the chocolate that you use to make chocolate milk..I forget the name in English, it has sugar in it already though)
1 spoon of butter
3 T of sugar

You put all of this on the stove, and let it simmer I think for 20 minutes. Then you let it cool, and it should get thick…Ok so this part is the part I am nervous about.. I didn’t entirely understand the Brazilian woman when she was saying this part. And so yeah, when this chocolate part has a cooled a little, put it over the cooled cake.

SO there you have it! A Brazilian recipe! Ha-ha... I feel like I am on a cooking show, expect that I don’t know anything.

Ok back to the real stuff...

Other then cake the Brazilians have really good sweet rice, which is yummy, and ice cream with flavors like milho verde (corn) which is really, really good. They also use condensed milk for like every desert. You should see the supermarket here- they have a HUGE section for condensed milk and juice. It’s funny.

Oh and other funny things that have happened- so far I have been proposed to (again) and another guy tried to kiss me this week. ha! Ha-ha, that was funny. I have some really good dodging skills I must say. Because the culture here is to kiss everyone on the cheek when you meet someone. So kissing her- not a big deal. Weird for me! (yeah I can so hear my friends laughing at me right now) anyways...

And this week I was asked how is the way the Brazilians clean funny... I guess this is hard to imagine unless you have seen it. Really its just crazy. You have that gimongous squeegee and you spray everything down with water and go at it... and for doing the dishes, water is flying everywhere, soap is flying everywhere.... you get the idea! ha-ha. It’s crazy! The funny thing is, I wash dishes this way now. It is a bit easier to be sure.

And- it sure has been fun living with a Brazilian companion. Sister R. Silva is otimo- she is from the northeast- and she has the sweetest accent. I feel like I have Etta James for my companion, she is this cute short black woman, with a deep and really, really soothing voice. At times I just listen to her speak because it’s really relaxing, but then I get all lost and confused because I wasn’t trying to understand what she was saying. We haven’t had any problems communicating, and she is really patient with my Portuguese, so its fun!

She is so nice, but incredibly bold. Wow! It has been really fun teaching with her- we taught 7 families this week, which was really hard, but so awesome to really focus on this. Yesterday we had a bit of hard morning- we walked like 2 hours before church trying to get our investigators to church and all... but yeah, in summary- we had no investigators in church yesterday… a bit discouraging because we had worked so hard this week. But then after church we had the most awesome day- we taught 3 families that I really felt had been prepared to hear our lesson.

Well, I really could just keep on writing- but I probably should come to an end. This is probably another long chapter to my novel-like emails. But I wanted to thank you all who read my blog and who write me letters. This week I received a TON of letters when we had interviews with the mission president- and it seriously felt like Christmas! It was soo awesome…and I honestly needed it so badly. It has been like 5 days without hearing or thinking English...The first few days with Sister R. Silva were a bit tough because I couldn’t quite understand her accent... and so yeah, when I got those letters- ahhh it was awesome! Thank you thank you!!!!

Anyways, the work is trucking forward here; I am learning to love all the moments that you feel as a missionary- the joys, the sorrows, and all the in betweens. My message for the week- help the missionaries!!! It is so hard to work with the members at times, but when we do teach with the members, it’s a huge, huge difference! I have been trying to better understand why baptism is so important, and I feel like I am only starting to grasp our purpose in life, and the potential we each have! How awesome the gospel plan is!!

I love you all!
Com Amor
Sister Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home