Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tchau CTM! Oi Porta Ferreria!!

August 14, 2006

Well it has been a long two weeks without a pday but here I am- absolutely loving life and the chance to really be a missionary! Wahoo! Ok I have soo much to say, because it has been 2 weeks of busy happenings…so I will just have to do a brief summary of events, and then in the next upcoming weeks I can be more detailed.

First off, my last week at the CTM was soo awesome! It was really hard to say goodbye to the other sisters- I have made some incredible friends at the CTM whom I will remember forever- and who I will get to play with after the mission- its a good thing because I seem to be getting a lot of wedding announcements from friends- haha- such is life when you are a Sister Missionary!

The hardest thing by far was saying goodbye to Michael- it will be a long 2 years not being able to see him- we had a very special weekend together- I wont really go into details because words cannot describe how special it is to be a missionary with your brother, and to be able to see him progress, and see yourself progress- and share this together. We were able to spend a lot of that last Sunday together, which was awesome.

It was exciting stepping out of the CTM, we flew to some city... I forget the name, and then took a bus through the country side to Ribeirao Preto…this was soo incredible! As we drove through the countryside I felt this incredible love for this area and for the people- I hadn’t even met anyone yet, but for the first time I felt that love for the people that other missionaries talk about.. it was amazing. I felt soo excited to go talk to people- and for the first time I felt the responsibility of what I have to do…how exciting! When we were leaving, the president of the CTM said- The hour of your mission has arrived! And it has!! ahh I really am a missionary!

Anyways, we were met at the city by President and Sister Condie- I could tell right away that I was going to love them- especially Sister Condie.. She is crazy!! I love it! She can laugh hysterically, and make you laugh hysterically, and two seconds later she is crying because of the spirit... it reminds me of someone else-- ha-ha... um me!!! I have cried so much this week- because I testify so often of the scriptures and Christ... and well all know what that does to me. Anyways, we will get to this later…

So we had interviews with President Condie, we had a huge meal- there were 22 of us missionaries coming in that day…11 Americans and 9 Brazilians... wait that adds to 20… um ok I don’t really remember how many new missionaries we had, but it was a lot. And then we had a transfer meeting- where everyone shouted D&C 4... I don’t think I have ever seen a scripture recited like that… but it was awesome! It made me so excited for this work! I won’t be shouting it quite like that… um... ever. But it was awesome. I loved seeing that President Condie, and all of the missionaries here are very serious in the work, but also have a sense of humor!

Ok so here comes the big news... my first area- Porto Ferreira! Ok that last word is pronounced like "sahara" but with a F in front… so like "fahara" if that helps any. And the best news of all is my companion- ahh I loove her!! Her name is Sister McAllister... and here comes the crazy, crazy news... I had met her before…well kind of. It’s hard to explain- (ok and someone needs to tell the Warcups that they have to read this!!) Ok so Ali and Sister Warcup will understand this.... I know Ali's aunt really well- I jokingly called her Aunt Heidi... She is awesome! I use to hang out with her all the time with Ali... ok well her son is Colby Parks... and Ali and I went to Colby’s Farwell like 2 years ago, and we saw his girlfriend who is now my companion. I hope that makes sense. So yep, its just crazy, we talk about aunt Heidi all the time, and Colby and Crayton…crazy!!! That Warcup family just follows me everywhere! Ha-ha… so we have a blast together. I couldn’t ask for a better companion and trainer. She knows how to work hard, she has an awesome testimony- She is so great with the members- and above all, she speaks português... lets face it, I really don’t know any português.

She is so awesome- It is so nice to have someone who knows all the ropes, what to eat, where to go, how to talk to people, how to explain in português about the Book of Mormon. And above all she is soo kind and patient. She prays for me every prayer, which has been so touching to me. The whole ward here loves her, and I feel so blessed to have her for a whole 6 weeks! This is her very last transfer- sad for me.

But anyways, this city is awesome- it is soo huge! We walk at least 10 miles a day… probably more- because we have to walk to several separate small cities which are in are area.... I don’t know the name of this in English, that’s embarrassing. I don’t speak portugues, I don’t know English. Wow! Ha-ha. Um, but yeah- there is a great mix of people here- there are some certainly poor areas- its very sad to see-I don’t think I will ever get use to seeing the squalor that people live in. Our house is just fine-we live behind a member named Vania, she is awesome!

This past week we worked really hard- it was so much fun! We walked a ton- I am going to have legs of steel when I return! Yes! And we talked to a ton of people-we talk to everyone, which is really fun- it is interesting how you just open your mouth and you know what different things to say to different people. I never thought I would be this bold, that is for sure. And we bater a lot of houses, and we have taught a lot of first lessons. Its fun- I am learning a lot, because I say a lot of things wrong and have to be corrected. My very first day here we taught about baptism to this awesome, awesome lady named Maria Luisa, her son is a member and she is this stalwart old lady who looves plants! Ha-ha. Anyways, she is progressing, and we have many other people we are teaching, we had this man named Celso come to church on Sunday- he is soo humble and really felt the spirit…he doesn't read so we will have to work with him slowly, but I am excited.

The branch here is awesome- they are small but crazy! we try to have a lot of activities with the branch to help them, which has been awesome. I spend a lot of time with the kids- because they don’t care that I don’t speak português... They laugh at me a lot! All of the members are soo sweet though- It has been a week of a lot of firsts- first time eating lots and lots of different food, I will write about that next week- first area, first companion in the field- first time really, really speaking in português…etc.

Oh and a funny moment of the week- last night we had an activity at a members house with lots of the members. And I was sitting on this chair, trying to talk in portugùês, when suddenly the chair broke! And of course I just sat there laughing, I couldn’t move. I was stuck in my chair, and one of the Irmas in the ward had to come help me. Ha-ha. I love it. All of the Irmas call me Sister Grande! (Which means tall) And the rest of the ward calls me sister Monhoee... Monroe is really hard to say. Church was a lot of fun yesterday, mostly because I could understand what people were saying- because it was only church topics- that’s all I know in português!!

Wow so sorry this is so long, I have so much to say this week- it’s been quite crazy! More then anything, I am learning that this is the Lords work and I am only an instrument in his hands... I am learning how important it is to let the spirit work in the lives of those you are teaching- It is the spirit that helps me speak and teach- It has been awesome this past week seeing the spirit work with me to help those whom the Lord has prepared... When the spirit is there- I am able to testify- when it isn’t- I can’t speak português at all. I kind of mumble... and struggle to know what to say. When the spirit is there, I can vaguely understand the concerns or questions of those who teach, if it isn’t there- I turn to Sister McAllister and pray for her…because I have no idea what is going on!

Well, I better go- I am looving life right now- this work is soo much fun and I love it here. I feel so blessed by the Lord- I have soo much in my life- I am constantly amazed that the Lord allows me to help in this life- because he certainly doesn’t need me- and he certainly doesn’t need my português-ha! But he allows me this privilege to learn and grow, and for my testimony and love of the Savior to grow! How great is this calling!!

Thank you for all of your prayers, letters, etc. I cannot tell you how exciting it was to arrive her and have a stack of letters!! Heaven!! And thank you for your prayers that I can learn português.. I know it is helping! I love you all!

Love Sister Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home