Thursday, July 13, 2006

Elder Monroe was seen kissing a Sister Missionary

OK well first off, I am soo soo soo excited for Michael to be here!! I haven´t been able to fall asleep the past couple of nights because I have been soo excited. And then last night I woke up every hour... haha I am such a nerd. This morning we went to the Sao Paulo temple which was awesome- really a beautiful, beautiful temple... and then when I got back- Michael was here!! I gave him a big hug, he kissed me on the cheek, everyone stared at us- we were in the cafeteria.. haha, we started laughing, and explained to everyone. We talked all lunch, and I feel like I hardly talked to him. It was soo much fun! I have missed him so much, and so it was so much fun. I am so excited that we get to share the next three weeks together!

As far as highlights for the past week- we had another "theme" day on Monday! I like to keep things lively at the CTM.. haha. We did a black and white day, and this time we got a lot more of the sisters to participate. Even all the Brazilians joined in for the fun. It was awesome! Our district again thought it was hilarious- they actually brought down ties for us to put on a for a little bit, so then we really looked like elders. And I had my first lesson on tying a tie. Black and white is a bit boring I have to say- I am so glad that we get to wear lots of colors! I wear my red shoes practically every day, and everyone knows that I am the sister with the red shoes!

One of the highlights of being here has been meeting so many awesome Sisters... I love all of the other sister missionaries. They are all so dynamic, so energetic, and lots and lots of fun! I have made a lot of new friends- and they are each great great examples to me- and not at all the typical sister missionaries you think of... they all have lots of personality, but are incredibly spiritual too. é ótimo!

All right, and every missionary has bad language blunders on their mission.... I think I had my first major one- good thing it really wasn’t that bad. I was sitting next to this sweet Elder from Brazil, and we were talking in portoguês about his conversion story. He joined the church I think 2 years ago, ago, something like that. And then his parents threw him out of the house... I was trying to be understanding- because this was an incredible story and the Elder was so sweet and kind, and in that clutch moment I asked him... Where did you die? I meant to say, where did you live.... unfortunately the verbs are super close- morrer and morar. Yeah... try that verb conjugated in the past tense, plus me trying to speak it.... anyways, he looked at me in shock, I realized my experience, tried to fix it, asked him again where he died...ahhh! haha, and they I started laughing and said I was sorry- I know that word really well in Português by now... he understood what was going on and laughed too. I felt soo bad. But at least that is happening now in the CTM eh?

My district has made some pretty bad language blunders too. Yesterday we swore in português a couple of times without realizing it. Our teacher got all upset and told us never to say that word again. The only problem, is I cant remember in those verbs which way is the good way... and the way that I swear. I think I will just avoid those verbs for now... haha.

Well I really have had a lot of fun great moments the past week, it really has gone so fast... I wanted to thank everyone for their letters. I have felt so loved and so overwhelmed with all of the letters from everyone! Thank you thank you! And as far as DearElder.com goes, they deliver every 10 days, so it still takes a little bit, but it is free... so it works for me- I like any mail!! :)

Today when I went to the temple it hit me that I have been here for over a month. That actually made me really sad- I still want to have 18 months on my mission! I leave in another 3 weeks, which is crazy to me. The more português I am learning, the more that I realize I don’t know anything. But I know that if I do my best to know what I can, the Lord will take care of the rest. The awesome thing about being a missionary is that you have the spirit with you so strongly- but it is a double edged sword- if you say one cross word to your district (in a moment even where it is maybe justified... haha) then you can feel that spirit leave just a little bit... but luckily, as my good friend wrote me this week- this is such an important work that you are forgiven easily and the spirit comes back.

I am continuing to try to refine myself and learn how to be fluent in the spirit, it is so important- especially as I feel more and more that I lack in fluency of português, and I am going to need the spirit to make up for my many weaknesses. I have been thinking a lot about Moses, and about Enoch, who felt like they lacked in their speaking ability... but that the Lord blessed them anyway.

I know that I am suppose to be here, I have never been so happy, and yet felt so inadaquet.... and I have no idea how to spell that word. But I am so grateful for the chance to work hard to serve the Lord, this is His work, and He will make a way for me to be able to do it! I testify that this is the only true church on the face of the earth- and that Christ is at the head of it. I kneel before Him in awe, His atonement is an incredible thing- a thing which gives me strength each day to do what He would have me do.

I love you all- thank you for your prayers- I know that they are helping me!

Com Amor,
Sister Melanie Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home