Monday, October 02, 2006

And the winner is?

Eu não acredito que hoje é pday!! Where did September go? Ok, so I am going to try to make this blog post a little shorter... I have the tendency to blab on, and I am not sure if this makes for very interesting posts. This has been an awesome week- first for some trivial manners, the Brazilian election was yesterday. I have no idea who won- they will announce it tonight. It’s been an entertaining week as people have been quite hyped up for the elections- its a bit different then America! Ha-ha. On Saturday I think I saw the same parade for President Lula about 7 times, because they kept driving through all the baixos of the city, and we were walking everywhere. It was hilarious- a lot of shouting, different music that didn’t match, the Lula song- all the jazz. I wished I had my camera... tudo bem.

All of the Brazilians seem to think I should vote- even though I am clearly an American. Everybody, people in the streets, asked me if I would vote, and when I said no, they were quite surprised. Many, in fact, all, did not seem to understand why an American couldn’t vote for a Brazilian president. I find it hard to fathom myself. Ha-ha.

Another thing that sees to baffle everyone is the fact that I have not killed a chicken, pig, or duck on my own. I have had the process described to me IN DETAIL many times. I honestly hope that I don’t have to try it one of these days, but I don’t know. Everyone seems to think that chicken or pig or duck that was killed in your yard is much fresher and better. Ok, I would definitely say its fresher- but as far as better. I am not so sure I would want to eat after that process.

Ok, that’s it for trivial manners- as far as real news- we had an awesome week, it seriously flew by! We were really blessed to work with some different members this week, which was awesome. Our baptism for Milena got postponed for this coming Sunday, because some of her family couldn’t be there this past weekend, and with conference- it was just confusing to arrange. But she is strong and firm and so we will have a baptism this week :) Wahoo!

And also really, really exciting, was at conference this weekend we had 2 families with us! They all live together, and we have been teaching them for 2 weeks... and wow, they definitely come from some humble circumstances. We sit on the floor when we teach, they don’t have chairs or a table, and we try to bring food with us every time we teach, because they really don’t have much at all. But there are 8 of them in these 2 families, Paulo and his 2 kids, and then Mara and Anderson and their 3 kids. There are a lot of kids, which makes it fun for me! Ha-ha!

This past week we taught them about the Word of Wisdom and Eternal Marriage, and lets just say that there are 5 things we cant use in the Word of Wisdom, and they use 4 of them. But the good news is that they want to change and follow the word of wisdom, and Mara and Anderson are set to get married this month! I was really nervous because we knew they had problems and needed the Word of Wisdom, and my first instinct was to let Sister R. Silva teach this part... but I decided I needed to learn, and how can I learn if I don’t try… and so I practiced and taught it... I was a little nervous, but the spirit was there, and I taught with as much love as I could, and it went really, really well. It was a miracle because the children were not there for that lesson- the first time that has happened- and I know the Lord really prepared a way for us to teach.

And then yesterday for conference, Paulo and family (that’s what we call all of them- just imagine 7 other Brazilian names) were all ready to go when we passed by. In fact, they were standing outside of their house waiting for us! This was awesome, and all of the kids were so excited. So we went on a bus with the rest of the ward to Sunday Morning session of conference. Ok, I will be honest here... I imagine that this session was a good session. I am not quite sure I understood much. I was sitting with two of the kids and trying to help them listen and keep them occupied the whole time... which proved to be quite stressful. It was a stressful conference! Ha-ha! But I won’t complain because I was so excited to have 2 families with us!

And then afterwards, I found out they had played the session in English in another room. go figure. Ha-ha! But the second session went much better, they did not play it in English this time, but it was just a bunch of missionaries, and I could focus this time, and wow I understood a lot better. And the Lord really opened up my ears- my favorite talk was by, oh shoot I forget his name. I think it starts with Keith something, but anyhow, he talked about the atonement and it was awesome. It was a beautiful talk!

Anyways, life is awesome here- I am working hard, eating lots of good fruit, and speaking lots of Portuguese, and forgetting what life is like in America. ótimo!

Com amor... demais!!
Sister Melanie Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home