Monday, October 09, 2006

Muito Agua Aqui

Well, in other news, there is a lot of water... baptisms and otherwise! Wahoo! Ha-ha. We had the baptism for Milena yesterday, and it was awesome! Really, really special, she just glowed… and her mother came, and a lot of members for the branch were there- and it was just so special. And the awesome part was her brother in law performed the baptism. There is something really special about baptisms performed in the family.

Something really awesome was that Her cousin, Maria, came to church and stayed for Milena’s baptism.. Maria was a contact that Sister R. Silva and I made in the Street one day, and started teaching her and her husband, and later found out that they are family of Milena. So it has been awesome to see all of them progressing- and Maria was really touched yesterday at church. Awesome!

And we also have been progressing with the other 2 families that attended conference- we are working to get one of the couples married, and working to help them follow the word of wisdom… the kids are all really and excited- so I just pray that we can find the strength and way to help the adults find strength to leave all of this stuff behind. They didn’t come to church yesterday, We had a bit of a confusion with them really… we walked to get them, they had already left for church, and then we never found them... I really, really hope they didn’t attend another church, because there are a lot of other churches on the same street as our church- except that all of the other churches are the hallelujah stand and praise and shout praises kinds of churches... not so good.

I heard lots and lots of stories this past week about strange languages and people falling in church, and wow... its really sad to hear about churches and people that teach in this way... kind of makes me sick really. There are ALOT of churches here like that, at least 20 others…maybe more. And the Jehovah Witnesses are in full force here, we see a lot of their missionaries here, and get asked all the time if we are missionaries from there…good thing we can quickly show our badges and share the real message- a message of peace and joy and love…not of shouting and who knows what. Ha-ha. It sure is an interesting and different world here, that’s for sure.

I enjoyed Michaels report of the election, I laughed so hard. I can understand it, because I saw much of it…and to think that president Lulu tied, and so the election will happen all over again. Ha! Another funny thing I learned this week was that the State of Sao Paulo is in a drought right now, and so it is actually ILLEGAL to water your front drive way or street… whatever it is in English. But don’t worry, everyone does it, everyday. Vania, who lives in front of our house, is faithful enough to water at times, 2 or 3 times a day. And if we are lucky, she evens waters at night- yes sometimes 11 at night. Hahaha. I love it!

Oh, and as far as lots of water here…that would apply to baptisms and rain. Wow the rain is strong here. Ha-ha, I had a really cool experience this week... cool in the fact that I learned how to follow the spirit... in the fact that I didn’t. It was kind of cloudy one afternoon, and I clearly had the impression to take my umbrella with me…and didn’t. We were crossing a bridge when wow- the strongest rain ever.... hit us. And wow... I really don’t think an umbrella would of helped us... but who knows. it was coming from all directions…and I couldn’t help but laughing and we were running and laughing…and soaked!! We taught an interesting next lesson; well it was a lesson that went really, really well, but nothing like being soaked!

And then the next day... yes, one would think that I would learn… but no, decided not to take my umbrella, because this time there were NO CLOUDS in the sky when we left early in the morning. But wow, this time, the rain was even stronger. We were walking in the middle of this field, and we could see the rain behind us… coming... coming… we could hear it...and we were running, running...and yeah. It hit us. And we had no where to go... so we just kept running, we ran in some really strong rain for about 20 minutes. ha-ha! And we ran to the chapel, because we were having the baptism interview for Milena…and wow, we were wet. It was hysterical. It was like I had been swimming in the rain…Sister Silva and I were laughing so hard.

And so now, I am learning. It is hot as the dickens in the morning, and then it rains every afternoon… the only thing is the rain isn’t cool… its still hot! So I am learning to follow the promptings of the spirit... most of the time they are quite, and just an idea, but wow, follow the idea! Because now I have two wet, wet experiences from not following the promptings. At least they were funny!

Anyways, I am really hungry, and Sister Silva is patiently waiting for me to finish- she doesn’t use email so I feel bad at times writing so much. We are having a blast together... I am just getting nervous for transfers, because she has never had a companion longer for 2 transfers; she is always transferred... so I am getting nervous for her…or me! ahh… I don’t want to think about it. Luckily we have 2 more weeks to work some miracles!

Ok, I am off- lots of love and smiles, hugs and kisses from Porto Ferreira!
tchau!
Sister Monroe

PS. I am sad to hear the padres are out, but way to go chargers, and way to go BYU! I had a really weird BYU dream the other day. Just FYI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home