Sunday, December 03, 2006

Making Up (Letter from Oct. 30, 2006)

Ok, so I am pretty sure I wrote the worst blog letter this week and so I am making up for it now.
This week I had lots of highs and lots of lows. First for the usual funny and random tidbit, a lot of the children in the ward have taken up calling me Sister Moroni. Ha-ha How’s that for a creative name…I like this one a lot because Moroni was a pretty awesome name to live up to.

Ok…So I think I’ll go through my week so you can get a feel for how it went…so here it goes;

Segunda –Feira (Monday):
We are teaching an awesome lady named Rosa- and we taught her about the Sabbath. An interesting tidbit is that in Portuguese, the word for day of rest is sabado- which , unfortunately is the same word as Saturday…and so a lot of people think that the day of the Lord is Saturday. We have to explain this a lot and that Christ was resurrected on Sunday. Ha, ha, ha. (etc,etc) anyways, Rosa is awesome. Afterwards, we taught Paulo and familia and made pancakes with maple syrup with a member…two things which the people find strange here, maple especially.

Terca Feira (Tuesday):
Every Tuesday morning we travel to another city, Pirassanunga and have district meetings. We have a really strange district because we have the only couple from a South American country- I don’t remember where. So yeah we have a couple us sisters, the district leaders and zone leaders in our district- so it is awesome! We have a lot of fun- and get a lot of work done too! So Tuesday we return home, eat lunch with a member and then taught a really old couple who are so awesome- but its so sad again, to see how alcohol can turn any happy situation horrible-wow- and the man Davi really wants to leave alcohol behind but said he just can’t find the power-we gave him a book of Mormon and promised there was power in this book. Tuesday was an awesome day, and we taught a lot of people this day!

Quarta Feira (Wednesday):
Taught tons of people…Oh wait, that’s what we do everyday! It’s such a blessing to be in a country where people always want to hear a message about Christ and pretty much accept the Book of Mormon is true; it’s just trying to convince them to act on this knowledge and pray about Joseph Smith. I have really gained a testimony of the restoration- because without this our message would be different. We taught Maria Luisa again- a woman I have been teaching since my first day here in Porto Ferreira- it’s quite a sad story, she is so smart, and has read the whole Book of Mormon but doesn’t want to pray to know if it’s true…and doesn’t understand why she has to have a testimony of Joseph Smith…and so to her, she doesn’t see the importance of gaining a testimony or of going to church. Going to church helps us get closer to the Lord. So we continue to struggle with her. But unfortunately she doesn’t want to humble herself to ask…it’s interesting and sad, seeing people who know, who have been touched by the spirit, but reject it anyway.

Quinta Feria (Thursday):
We spent this morning in our Casa and planned out the week…we do this every Thursday- and it’s so great to have a plan… even when we find ourselves running to appointments, or home at night almost every single day. It’s crazy and awesome! We taught a man named Andre…he is really involved in another church, but he knows this church is false…we are trying to help him develop the courage to read the Book of Mormon. He is coming along slowly…but again it makes me so happy as our mission Presidents wife said,” and the good news is…you picked the right church!”
Ha-ha, but really, I feel so grateful to feel my testimony growing each day- becoming more and more unshakable…I am amazed at how simple, and yet so strengthening the gospel is…but it’s true that through the small things comes grand blessings and miracles.

Sexta Feira (Friday):
I guess I could write a little bit more about lunch- we have lunch with members almost everyday- but about seven times a month we have to cook for ourselves, which at times is an adventure. But we always skip dinner- and so lunch has come to be quite important to me…it’s always rice, beans, many times some meat… and salads of just tomato, or cucumber, carrots and jicama which are rising to one of my favorite vegetables. But we eat here alot of vegetables and fruits they don’t have in America…one that is way good is xhuxhu (like shoe-shoe) and fruit of the condie. Yum. I’d describe what it’s like, but I don’t know how to explain it.

Sabado- (Saturday):
We taught some awesome lessons with Marlena – a member here that was inactive when I arrived. Her husband Geraldo received the priesthood last Sunday – and I found such joy in seeing them progress in the gospel…Marlena bore a powerful testimony that moved us all to tears. She challenged our investigators for us. How awesome! It is always so much more moving for investigators to hear a testimony from a member. This afternoon we also taught Paulo, Naiara and Micaela, and Jefferson and just this whole gang. Jefferson had his baptismal interview and was super excited!! We are continuing to prepare Paulo for baptism I am hoping his will be soon – he wants to be baptized so badly! We are just trying to work other things out. A way funny thing is that we have become a bit of a celebrity in Naiara’s neighborhood…on Saturday we ended up teaching a lesson to about 12-15 kids who followed us around asking us questions about America. I guess that is a sigh my Portuguese is improving because I understood them and responded! Wahoo!

Domingo (Sunday):
This was the last day of election, which gave a lot of our investigators an “excuse” for why they couldn’t come to church. But we had another “luta” (fight) with the adversary. Anyways, we had 6 investigators at church, which was so exciting. I taught principles of the gospel…oh and it was on eternal marriage…I told the story about my good friend Jennifer Sabin (now Satley!) and of course cried a little as I told about being there to see her get married. The spirit was really strong, and I felt happy that I am being blessed more and more every day to speak better and testify with the spirit. And then after church we had Jefferson’s baptism which was really special – He really just glowed, and when the Branch President talked to him about the priesthood, Jefferson got really, really excited! And Later that night we celebrated his baptism, and the whole family was just so excited…it has been so awesome to see this family changing, slowly. They still have a bit of a fight ahead, I just hope we can help them get started…Naiara & Miquela also received the Holy Ghost, which was so beautiful… I almost love this part of baptism more! Ha –ha. Once again – we ran home this night, and as always, the Lord carries us home or stops the clock for us so we can make it home by 9:30. All these small miracles happen so often in our lives- it is so awesome to see the Lord’s hands in the details of our lives. And that brings us up to today…WE have spent our p-day in Rebeirao Preto, and I hope we make it home in time for our appointments.

But, I had the best surprise of my life today as we visited the mission office and I had TONS of birthday cards and packages waiting for me. I was moved beyond words…and these honestly came at a perfect time…2 weeks ago, on my birthday – I didn’t really need these cards, but today, wow, I was just so overwhelmed and grateful to receive these! For reasons I can’t describe, I had a tough moment this past week, so these cards and packages meant so much! Thank you!

Lastly, just want to say that I am so grateful for every principle of the gospel. In these small principles, as we follow these seemingly small things – we will find more happiness and peace than we can ever imagine.

I love you all – I can’t say my thoughts are with you- ha-ha – because they honestly aren’t. They are here in Brazil – But I do pray for you, and I love you more than words can say – and I know the Lord is blessing each of you more than you know!

Con Amor,
Sister Melanie Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home