Monday, February 19, 2007

Carnival Schmarnival

Yes, it is time for the one and only Carnival that is going on right now here in Brasil... you know I was thinking about a few years back when one of my teachers asked me about Carnival in Brasil (Ali do you remember toilet bowl derby in World Lit... I bombed that question?) Anyhow, I remember that I didn’t even know what Carnival was a few years ago... and now... I live here. Luckily for us missionaries, this is a really good area to be for Carnival. Nothing is happening here, pretty much everyone has left this area to travel to the center of the city or other wilder crazier areas. Its kind of sad how much people drink here, like Michael said in his email.... but its cool to see how involved the ward has gotten with accamphamento (it’s like girls camp and youth conference rolled together in one... way better!!) So yeah, it’s an interesting time of year here.

Here is another random fact for everyone- did you know that here in Brasil when you have to pay, you just round. You NEVER give exact change for stuff... like if its 4.66 you can give 4.50 or 4.60… and when they give you change back, they just round too. At first I couldn’t fathom this- it seems so inefficient- how many pennies are lost here? Ok laugh if you want to, but all the pennies add up sabe? But now... it’s just normal. I never really worry if I don’t exactly have money, they will just round anyway. So yeah, that’s my funny fact.

We had a really cool thing happen this week- we always get references on the internet from people that call from the amizade cards to get DVDs, videos, Livro de Mormon, etc.. And so anyways we had one this past week- Cenelly. So we called her, and she was young and excited, and asked us to come the same day. So we went there, and she is this 16 year old girl, way cute and excited. So we asked her how she got the card, and this is the coolest part... It was like a month ago, when we were in a bus in the center, coming back to our part of the city…and there were a ton of people, and I stood up and announced in front of everyone who we were, and asked if we could visit anyone. I remember this day- because I think of the 25 or more people that were in the bus, there was like 1 person that gave us their address...everyone else was kind of rude... but I remember Cenelly, because I gave her a card, and told her, her hair was cute. Well, she was too nervous because of everyone to give us her address, but she got off the bus, and called the number.

So anyways, this week we got her address and taught her the first lesson... and she bawled her eyes out when she heard the first vision. She said that she has been dreaming for 2 years that she would hear the gospel soon. She also felt to prepare and learn other languages so that she could be part of the work and be a missionary someday. When we shared with her the first message, she said this was what she had been waiting for. Needless to say, it was a really special lesson, and we were so excited! We went back the next day, and she had already read tons of the Livro de Mormon, and had way good questions.

So then two days later we went back to her house, and her mom was there to meet us... her mom is part of the universal or something like that, and she told us that Cenelly could not longer have the lessons, that she couldn’t come to church, etc, etc... It was so sad because Cenelly was standing right there, with tears streaming down her cheeks. It is so sad to see people so prepared, but so hinged by other people’s choices. So that was a bit disappointing, but I feel really good because I know that the Lord will keep helping Cenelly and continue to prepare her for the day she can be part of the church… at least she has a Book of Mormon now, and can read it.

We are still working with some awesome people- we have 9 people who could be baptized this next Sunday- and 3 of them are families. We are still working with Lia and Danilo, they are awesome, and will be baptized one day, they have already accepted baptism, it’s just a matter of time. Bobby, the crazy American man, came to church yesterday, and I translated for him, that was fun! We have some amazing, amazing people... Giseille, is also someone we are trying to push to be baptized, she has a testimony, she just needs to be pushed a little bit more....she knows everything is true, but I think is just nervous.

Anyways, so the work here is awesome, I am loving this chance I have to grow each day, to get sun burned each day, to forget English more and more each day, and to wear some pretty ugly missionary clothes everyday! haha (this part I actually am not joking!)

There is truly nothing better in the world... I love all of you, eat some peanut butter, and some salad for me! haha!

Beijos!
Sister Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home