Monday, December 04, 2006

Transfers Fake Out

I no longer remember how to spell many things in English. Just thought you all should know. The Other day it also took me three tries to remember how to sing “I am a child of God” in English. I hope this means my Portuguese is getting better!!

But anyways, yes I had a transfer fake out last night... We thought for sure I would leave, or Sister R. Silva... I have been in Porto Ferreira for 3 transfers- that means almost 18 weeks here... but to our great surprise and "grande shock" as they say here... we are here for one more transfer- together! At first I didn’t know what to think, I think secretly I was hoping for a change… but the Lord has quickly reconfirmed that I need to stay here. And that Sister R. Silva needs to be my companion.

Like all good companionships- we have had our ups and downs- but we are growing closer and closer. It has been a privilege to serve and learn from her- even if at moments I want to kill her. Ha-ha... not really, but really, she is like family. We all know that at moments we get frustrated with our closest family members- but we have really learned to overcome, and are continuing learning to overcome and work together. We have had great success here, and I am sure we will continue to have great success!! I am excited- it means I will have Christmas here in Porto Ferreira! Although it hardly seems like Christmas... it is ridiculously hot. I am always sweating.

But I thought it would be good to have some more newsy updates on life here in Brazil. I have a good friend Jamie who is on a mission in Chile, and her mom sends me her blog, and I loved reading about life in Chile.. so I hope all of you enjoy reading about life here. I forget what is different at times- but there are really so many new things.

For instance- a salad that I love here is a salad of beets and carrots. Do we eat beets raw at home? do they even sell beets at the supermarket? I don’t know. But beets are soo good- they shred them up with shredded carrots, and put some seasoning with them- and it’s amazing!!! They also sell seasoning packets all ready here.. I think I will buy some of them to bring home with me because they are really good. They use them for everything- its a staple along with rice and beans.

Oh and apparently my skin is changing. For the past few months my fingers and toes are really, really yellow... like the skin is yellow…and I was wondering why, but wasn’t particularly concerned. Well at conference this past week another sister showed me her hands- and she has the same yellowish skin! She says it’s because we eat a ridiculous amount of papaya! Well to us it’s normal, but apparently there is a vitamin in papaya that turns our skin a bit yellow, harmless really, but just funny. Proves that I am eating a lot of fruit eh?

Hmm… and I don’t know if I ever shared this- many members here call me Sister Moroni. Apparently this is a lot easier then my name. I find if a bit flattering, and a bit funny. There is one women here- Irma Rosa (who is awesome! she is our recent convert) who for the life of her cannot remember my last name. She calls me Sister Mel. We try to help her remember but Its just so funny… mel is honey here… and so she likes saying sister mel. She thinks it’s hilarious. We have given up- because it’s interesting; all of the members here go by their first names. Its not brother Jones or sister Warcup here... no, here it would be sister Julie or brother Richard... I guess Sister Shelli was right all along. I like it a lot better to- it feels more like family. Just kind of interesting eh?

Another funny thing is that I find myself randomly saying words in English... like I will be talking all along in Portuguese and randomly say one word like dog, in English. I think its because I am starting to think faster in Portuguese, and so randomly words just pop out. the funny thing is that I don’t recognize it at times- it all seems normal to me. Sometimes kids speak English to me, and I want to speak english back to them, and speak Portuguese. The language is improving soo much- which is very, very exciting to me!! I am excited I have 6 more weeks with a Brazilian to improve my accent and hopefully have the awesome northeast accent she has.

OK, one last funny thing- I saw sister Donaldson this past week in conference- my first companion in the CTM. That was soo much fun, we laughed about how we had changed, and it was soo great. She had pierced her ears- something I had tried to get her do when we were in the CTM. When I asked her why she had done it- she said she realized that she wanted something to prove she isn’t a member of the Assemblea here…another church that doesn’t pierce their ears, use makeup, cut their hair, use clothes that are really pretty.. you know that kind of thing. So its funny- she was saying how she has learned that she has to enjoy some of the things of the world to show that we can.

I laughed so hard at this, but its true- there are so many weird, weird churches here… churches that believe all kinds of weird things- I could name so many that I have heard of, and so many ridiculous stories I have heard of weird languages, people falling down, oh where to begin. And so the good news is- WE all picked the RIGHT church! There really is one gospel on the face of the earth, one church that is true- and that is the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! I am so grateful for this chance to help spread the joy and truth that at times I have taken for granted. We have soo many blessings, so many blessings that we are part of this great work.

The times is flying by- I can’t believe its already been 6 months… what happened to these 6 months? But then if think of the experiences I am having. The chance I get to help others, and to help myself grow everyday. There are so many sorrows which at times we feel, I truly have never felt more responsibility or burden at times, but then to see our recent converts grow- to see people who truly have been prepared for us- and to see the spirit work in their lives- if something so beautiful, that there are no words to describe this joy. The gospel is true because it changes hearts. It changes people. No money, no present, no doctor or person could do this. Only the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for the change it has made in my life- and pray that each of you can find comfort and joy in the light of this gospel in this Christmas season!

Feliz Natal (from a sweating, manga shuping, yellow fingered missionary)
Sister Mel Monroe (Or Sister Mel, or Sister Moroni! haha)

PS. Linds! Congrats on the call! Sister McAllister and Thomas family and Josh Every and Jennifer... a letter is on the way! Thank you everyone!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home