Sunday, December 03, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

(from letter dated Nov. 20, 2006)
Truly, our week was filled with many small miracles- which was a great blessing because the week before last was a really tough week. But this past week was a lot better because we tried to teach more with members- and wow, it was so much better. There was one day in particular where it was so hot I have defiantly never been this hot in my whole life – I have also never sweat so much in my life – ha! But anyhow this day was amazing because we taught a new couple this morning – Mark and Jislaine, that I know had been prepared for us. It’s pretty interesting because I remember talking to Marcus the first time – I was in the other end of the city – and I’m pretty sure it was with Sister McAlister. Anyway, he was sitting in a car and I felt prompted to stop- and gave him a pass along card and talked with him a lot, but I never followed up because he lives in a whole different area of the city- an area I had never been because it is a bit far. Anyhow, he called to receive the free video, and so we walked WAY out to his house Saturday morning and wow they’re awesome.
This couple is so special – the wife Jislaine was so animated and excited it felt like I was meeting a long lost friend! So we will continue to work with them.

Then, after this lesson we had a lesson with Jorge & Maria Luisa- (Maria Luisa is a woman that Sister McAllister and I taught; and she was already for baptism- had the interview and everything, and then changed her mind.) Anyway, it was so sad to see how her life has gotten worse because she rejected the gospel. She read the whole Book of Mormon, She knows it is true – but she just can’t accept that Joseph Smith is a prophet. Sad. But anyhow we had lunch with her family and Jorge (her son who is a member) is having problems and ended up being kind of a Bible Bash at first – which I hate. But Sister R. Silva was awesome – she used the scriptures with power – and a situation that was awful, really changed. We were able to read a whole chapter of the Book of Mormon with power, and bear testimony of prophets. The spirit was strong- I don’t know if helped them – but it was a huge testimony to me to be bold in my testimony.

Then after this lesson we walked to the absolute end of the city- an hour walk – if you walk fast, (which we do) But the spirit was so strong with us – and we walked in amazing time – in the absolute hottest weather EVER. Anyways – there we had a really special lesson with an amazing member here- Conceigao. This was a referral of hers, and I know the spirit was there because I spoke Portuguese perfectly – it was the easiest lesson I have ever given in the mission field. It was awesome. And Conceigao’s friends were excited to learn, and so we will see how they progress.

So, anyhow after this lesson we returned back t the city and had a baptismal interview with Irma Rosa…we really struggled with her this week- one day she wanted baptism, the next day she didn’t. So this has truly been a fight to help her, but she passed the baptismal interview and seemed ready to accept baptism.

So, we had other lessons that night – But really Saturday was an awesome day – and the spirit was so strong with us. I was afraid that after such a good day that Sunday would be a huge fight – but the Lord really blessed us and we had a great day. Irma Rosa changed her mind once more, but we were able to help her understand why baptism was important, and we had a special baptism for her. It was awesome to see the spirit work with her – and she truly was touched and moved by the baptism.

Another awesome thing – it has been such a privilege to see the Branch here in Porto Ferreira grow. Yesterday, we had more people at church then I had ever seen while here…and it was so beautiful to see how peoples lives are changed during this time…Jefferson passed the sacrament to Paulo & Naraia- a beautiful, beautiful thing to see. It is interesting to think it’s only been a month or so for this family- but too see the light that has grown in their eyes and the change has been remarkable. And to see Irmao Giraldo, who is having health problems, and was hospitalized this week, and to see him at church the very next day and to see him so excited to be there was awesome! He performed the baptism of Rosa – and it was awesome to see him honor his priesthood.

Also, when he was in the hospital, He talked to every nurse, doctor and other patients about the church. When we went to visit him in the Hospital, we expected to help him, but there he was, sick, and giving us references. That is the spirit of missionary work!!!

Anyways...I’ve blabbed on and on long enough…but it is hard to believe time is passing so quickly here. I truly can’t believe it is almost December. I feel so privileged to have this chance to be here- to have this chance to fight for the Lord- at times it is hard, but then I remember who I am fighting for – and it’s all worth it.This gospel is awesome – and it is worth any sacrifice. I love you all-

Com Muito Amor,
Sister Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home