Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Grande Discupe!

(From a letter Nov. 27, 2006)

Hello one and all- First off, I guess I owe an apology, it seems that my last few letters have been a little off. I think that 2 weeks ago I wrote a letter that was a bit down, and then last week, I didn’t really write at all (Well I wrote a missionties letter that my mom will post later) And so... I guess I have a bit to catch up everyone on.

First off, I am doing awesome! It is true that I have had...err... a bit of ups and downs here in Porto Ferreira. It has been a struggle, but for some reason or another, the Lord has been amazingly mindful of us here, and has blessed us with much success. I have been overwhelmed with the blessings he has poured upon the branch here the past 2 months.

The past two weeks we have had more people come to church then all of this year. The branch is growing- people are returning back to church- and the attitude is changing. We had 88 people at church yesterday... which is a MIRACLE. As I sat in church I felt overwhelmed as I looked at each member and realized how much I truly love each member- and how grateful I am that the Lord has allowed me to see so many people join the church, return to church, or just grow stronger in the church. We have had many members helping us teach lessons these past two weeks, and giving us referrals- it is a different place. The past 16 weeks almost every Sunday has been emotionally exhausting- but yesterday I felt so different- I felt so overwhelmed with joy. I felt so excited to see how the church changes ordinary lives. With the gospel we become different- we become unordinary- we become children of Christ- and we radiate His love.

Anyhow, the work is awesome here- we have been finding a lot of new people- and working really hard with the members- once again the struggle is always getting people to go to church! We have also been working really, really hard with our recent baptisms- Irma Rosa and Irma Alessandra and Paulo, Jefferson, Naiara and family, and Milena. We want to make sure that they are strong, strong in the gospel. It is amazing to see how just a few weeks with the gospel can create huge changes. To see how Naira and Jefferson and Paulo are different- and to see Milena just have a glow about her- and to see Rosa grow in knowledge of the gospel- is such a beautiful thing. I think that is what I am most grateful for today, that the Lord has let me stay long enough in Porto Ferreira to learn to love these challenges- and that he has strengthened me and even allowed us to have success here. And then to see these people- these beloved children of God progress in the gospel- it is truly the most beautiful blessing I could of ever asked for.

Anyways, that’s a summary of the work the past two weeks- but I thought you also might enjoy a summary of the fun going ons, also...

It is officially mango season!!! (manga) I have been eating a ridiculous amount of mangos. And the thing I love about mangos is that you don’t eat them… no, you chupe then. (say it shoop) There is no way to eat a manga without being ridiculously messy, and afterwards you have the stringy manga things in your teeth… something I don’t really like, but I love manga and so I cant complain! Manga juice is also hmmmmm amazing. There are tons of new fruits here… I never recognize all of the fruits at the supermarket... I ate a fruit the other day- macacauba… or something like that- it tastes kind of like hazelnut… but its a fruit!

Last Pday we had a super pday, and we went on a little outing/hike to see a waterfall in a nearby city- Pirassununga. To be truthful I was a bit grumpy at first, because I didn’t really want to go, I wanted to rest and write letters and read letters from the family and friends...but that’s why you have a companionship- and Sister R. Silva wanted to go. It ended up being awesome! So I am really glad that Sister R. Silva put up with my grumpiness a bit. (Ok some of this also attributed to the fact that the elders were supposed to meet us and we waited FOREVER for them.ugh.)Anyways, ha-ha, It was a beautiful waterfall! And I felt a little bit more like I was in Brazil... it was quite a hike down, and quite a hike up... and unfortunately, Sister R. Silva and I paid for this whole week...our legs hurt a bit! Sad for all of this walking we still weren’t in shape for this little adventure. ha-ha. It was awesome!

As far as other funny tidbits- I thought it might be good to write about some other Brazilian funnies... They love, love, love condensed milk. They use it soo much, and often times they just eat it straight out of the can. They also love chocolate milk- Sister R. Silva has chocolate milk (cold) almost every breakfast and night. I think she is starting to cut back though. They also love crackers- like Oreos. They can eat a whole package in one setting, but everyone always has crackers. Also, many of them think dreams or very real. Who am I to say that they aren’t real... but I find it a bit odd that every dream has a deep hidden meaning. I laughed when Michael said that everyone shares their dreams with him... so true!!!

Anyways, that’s a bit of everyday life here in Porto Ferreira- we have transfers in one more week, so we will see what will happen. I honestly have no idea…but I am glad for everyday I have here in Brazil, I can’t believe how fast the days are flying by… what happened to November?

Ok, I am off to go buy some fruit!!
Eu amo voces!!
tchau!
Sister Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home