Monday, February 26, 2007

A mission first - EARLY TO CHURCH

Ok, well yeah, no one get too excited about that because what really happened is quite funny. Apparently Brazil has a time change in February, and no one told us that. So Sister Labadie and I woke up an hour early, went to church to have a meeting with the Bishop, he wasn’t there... (Well yeah it was an hour early!) and that we went to another barro (neighborhood) couldn’t figure out why none of our pesquisadores were not ready, and then finally we talked to one guy Diogo, who told us that it really wasn’t 8:30...but 7:30! Yeah... that was a good one. Sister Labadie just sat down on the stairs and started laughing. It is just soo something that would happen to me. So yep, we walked to church with Diogo and were there quite early. It was so weird. I had forgotten what its like to be on time to something- people joke about Mormon time, you know like 10 minutes late and stuff... but in brazil its a double negative, Brazilians are already naturally late, and add the Mormonism lateness to that... wow. It’s amazing. We have some people that we call and mark lunch with them at 12; we purposely arrive at 12:40...and lunch still isn’t ready. ahh well, what can you do. Just laugh!!

As far as other funny events, a really sweet woman, Maria (the mom of our recem converso Eduardo) made us some kind of concoction....and Sister Labadie took the excuse that her stomach hurt, and left me to eat it. Yeah, thanks for that. It was soo horrible, I don’t really know what it was, but afterwards we ran as fast as we could do a supermarket where I tried to buy whatever could get the taste out of my mouth. Meanwhile, Sister Labadie just laughed, laughed, and laughed. That was a memorable day.

As far as our last week, it pretty much was one of the greatest weeks ever. We had 2 baptisms, of Julia and Roberto. Julia is a 14 year old girl, who was a referencia of a member here. She is so awesome, and the greatest part is that her family was so excited- her little brother wants to be baptized so bad.. and her family all came to church and loved it- and it was super cool because in the blessing that Julia got for the Holy Ghost, the bishop promised her that her family would follow her example and be baptized soon. Wahoo!

But just as exciting was Roberto's baptism… he is a man whose family is all members of the church. He had been smoking a lot, and also he was already taught by the Elders, but he had a really, really bad baptismal interview, and didn’t want anything to do with elders again. Good thing we are sisters! But seriously, the Lord worked a huge miracle on his heart, and it is amazing to see the difference. It was one of the most spiritual baptisms on my mission, and his family and Sister Labadie and I had tears in our eyes throughout the whole baptism. (Ok maybe I cried a little bit more, ha-ha) But it was really, really incredible. And they already have a goal for the temple.

But the most exciting part of the week is Lia and Danilo... This family is so special, and so exciting. They accepted a baptism date- FINALLY! So that will be this Saturday- which I am ecstatic for! Something that is really special with them, is that we have always had a special spirit with them as we have taught them, there have been times where I felt like their kids, who are waiting to be born where in the room with us... really, really special. But then just this week, we found out that Lia's dad passed away like a year ago. As she showed us pictures of him, he just seemed so familiar, Sister Labadie and I feel a very close connection to him, and I know that he has helped us so much in this work with his daughter.

Lia and Lio (that’s a nickname that Sister Labadie came up with!) have an aunt that is a member that lives in Idaho, and she is the one who gave us the reference. We are so excited for their baptism, it seriously is one of the most special things that have happened in my mission, and the Lord has really helped us as we have been teaching this family. But yeah, I am really hoping that I can come back to Brazil for their sealing in the temple- they already have a temple goal- and I cant think of anything better in my life then to be there in that special moment..

Anyways, I am running out of time here, and this is already long enough, but I am so grateful for this chance that I have to be here for one more transfer! That’s right, transfers came and went, and much to my relief and joy I am staying here. Many ward members here were praying that we could stay here (they announced it at church ha-ha) along with Lia and Danilo and Sister Labadie and I, because we wanted to be here for their baptism…so the Lord has given us a huge blessing and allowed us to be here together for one more baptism!!

Thank you soo much for all of your support and love! I love you guys! Listen to some non-EFY/classical/ motab music for me and Sister Labadie... we are craving a little ACDC these days... although we heard some Rod Stewart this week which was quite enjoyable. ha-ha. Anyways...

Love you tons!!
Sister Felony Melanie Monroe

1 Comments:

Blogger B. Fidler said...

Mel, it is so much fun to read your weekly updates about the mission in Brazil. It sounds like you are having an amazing time. Thanks for posting some of your experiences. It is amazing how as I read them my heart is filled with the Spirit. Keep up the great work!
Love, Bryanne

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home