Monday, March 26, 2007

With or Without You

Wow... I just found out last night that Sister Labadie and I both are in love with this song by U2. I can’t remember how long it has been since I have heard that song, but Sister Labadie and I sang it really loud and enjoyed ourselves. Don’t worry; absolutely no one was in the street because there was a huge rainstorm. Oh wait, that would be every afternoon that we have a thunderstorm. Almost every night we have a huge thunderstorm, or at least a huge show of lightning. Huge thunder claps no longer scare me, but they never cease to amaze me. It’s such a cool show.

Well, I absolutely laughed my head off when I read that my brother went to the Assemblea. I don’t know if really explaining these other religions here can do them justice. But I have for sure had some awkward moments when sister Labadie and I found ourselves in a catholic prayer circle, or when we heard another prayer when the people were shouting. We had another pesquisador that had a really hard time not shouting Gloria Alleluia! during sacrament meeting. haha.

Meanwhile, I don’t know if anyone cared, but the Catholic Church on the other side of our street where Sister Labadie and I live decided to not construct the church during the week. Instead, they have decided its much better to build the church on the Sabbath Day. Ironic isnt it? It’s just funny... Another church that is way common here... ok well its not really a church, its more a belief- and its spiritualism... or espirito here they believe in reincarnation. I am so glad I don’t have to have another life here on earth after this one. It just makes me tired to think of it.

Anyways, I am getting way off topic, this seems to be more of a mind dump today- but we had a great past week. We had the baptism of Prascila, and her family came to see it. It was so special, it had been 20 or more years that her parents hadn’t been to church, and they just cried as their daughter was baptized, and then on Sunday confirmed. It was so special to talk to them, and to challenge them to go to the temple and set a temple date. We have great hopes this will help them, unfortunately Prascilas parents live in another city, so we will just have to write them some letters or something to help them out.

We are super exited because we had a really special Sunday- it was Sister Labadie’s birthday, and we had to eat a ridiculous amount of cake. I feel sick just thinking about it. They threw her a surprise party which was way sweet of them. Sunday was a special day also because Lia got a calling, and Danilo blessed the sacrament. Sister Labadie and I just cried and cried to see Danilo bless the sacrament and he had a huge HUGE smile on his face. It was their wedding anniversary yesterday too... so last night we celebrated their anniversary and sister Labadie’s birthday together! I don’t think they every imagined on their wedding day that in one year they would be celebrating with two crazy Americans. Just goes to show you life is crazy!

Anyways, we are continuing to be blessed incredibly. I am sorry my grammar is so bad, I ant remember how to spell a lot of things. I am having a lot of hard time remembering things from home too.... somebody was asking me about how much things cost in the US. I have no idea. Ha.

But yeah- this ward is so incredible- we love the chance we have every day to bear testimony! I am so excited because this next Sunday will be the baptism of Carol- the girl from the payphone- I don’t know if I told this story- she was the one we couldn’t find, and ended up teaching her like 2 weeks ago, she has been reading the Book of Mormon like crazy- and has been so excited for baptism. She is practically a member now- she took us to her Father, and taught a lesson with us there, and it was hilarious because she was teaching him about everything--- she remembered the details of everything about Joseph Smith, the works. It is so amazing how many things we take for granted. These simple truths that we have- people spend a lifetime looking for them.

So here is my challenge for you- give a pass a long card to somebody this week... and don’t just give it to them, take down their address, and then give it to the missionaries. You have nothing to loose- and you never know who is praying to find it. We found out this week that when we sang last week on the onibus, that a girl who was on the bus had been praying and praying for weeks to feel better, and when we sang, she said that great peace filled her whole soul... and she wanted to find out what it was... seriously- we never know who is looking for the message of the gospel! Its great news! Share it!

Ok I really have blabbed long enough. I love you all. I am so grateful for this chance I have to be a missionary. I continue to be amazed at the perfect plan that the Lord has for each of us in our lives. He is always there to guide us and direct us; we just have to turn to him!

Hoorah for Israel! Beijos and Bracos!
Sister Melanie Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home