Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I ate a granola bar!!

Yes, it’s true... I ate a granola bar. We found them in a little farmacia here, I almost died. It’s the green kind- you know the Nature Valley? It was soooo good. And someone who I love a ton sent me reecees peanut butter cups. Sister Labadie and I saved them and ate one or two every day.... so it only lasted a week, but it was soo great. I am not going to lie, these days I have a hard time remembering what kind of food I use to make and eat, but when I tasted these American foods I remember HOW MUCH I LOVE AMERICAN FOOD.... Just FYI. I was excited.

Oh yes, and I know some people had questions- my companion Sister Labadie is American. She has 2 less months than me, and we have been together for 3 months now... I think it is crazy to see how different my mission has been from my brothers. He has had a new companion like every transfer... Meanwhile, I am hitting almost 2/3 of my mission and I have had a whoppin 4 companions (one of those being in the CTM...sometimes we don’t even count that!) It is so crazy to see how the Lord has a different plan for each and every person here in the mission field. It’s crazy to read about my brother’s experiences and know that we are seeing a lot of the same things, but many different things. I am in a waay rich part of Brasil; and these past few months I have even had to teach in English to 3 or 4 people. It’s crazy... that is pretty hard to do, but as long as I don’t have to pray in English I am set... praying in English is pretty much impossible. It’s so hard. But yeah, I am pretty sure that my Portuguese accent is horrible, my brother will have to help me out after the mission :)

This last week was really great- we worked really hard, but it was kind of uneventful... but we worked so hard... there were a few times where I almost didn’t make it through my nighttime prayer I was so exhausted. It’s a really great feeling though, to know that you are trying your all and you have no more to give. Sister Labadie also told me the other day that I talk in Portuguese while I sleep....ha-ha.

I just wanted to talk a little bit about the power of hymns... Sister Labadie and I have really been singing a ton these past few weeks. When we make street contacts, a lot of times we try to sing a hymn for them... we sing at least 15 times each day, more or less... but it has been so powerful. There have been so many times where we meet someone, and they don’t want to hear anything, they don’t even want to hear us sing, and they are negative... and we always insist... no it will be really fast, it will be great, you will love it... and then we sing... and then they change. It’s so great to see! They always want us to come back, and many times they invite us to come in and teach them. It is such a contrast... and I know it is in the power of the hymns, they are so simple, and yet so powerful because they help people feel the spirit. That changes everything!

We are still teaching a lot of great people... We will be helping 2 families get married this week hopefully. One is Patricia whose kids were baptized the past month or so, and she has been trying so hard to convince her boyfriend to get married, and they are suppose to be going to the cartorio today to start the process... we are stoked! We also have another family we are going to help get married; they have a lot of problems to overcome, cigarettes, alcohol, so we will keep pushing because only the gospel can change people. But they have a willing heart, which is the most powerful motivator! We also are teaching Carols parents now, which is way exciting... Carol is still waiting for her boyfriend to move out... if it was up to us we would have packed his bags a long time ago... but this is where I am learning patience and the timing of the Lord :)

Anyways, we are doing great here! We are eating a ridiculous amount of fruit as always, rice and beans, and I am happy, and pretty excited to sleep a little bit this afternoon. At the beginning of my mission I never understood why missionaries would sleep on PDay... Now I know why... that last sentence took my 3 times to get right. English grammar is so hard.

Ok Well I am off- I love you all!!! This letter is pretty much unexciting, but I hope it finds each of you well, give a pass along card to someone today, our presquisadores are giving them to people- they aren’t even baptized and they are sharing the gospel! And we who are members, we have this responsibility! Share it with someone today!!!

Beijos!! Sister Melanie (felster) Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home