Monday, December 03, 2007

A penny For Your Thoughts

então....
I am having a very hard time beginning this letter. It is hard to put into words all that I have felt and seen this past week. I loved Michaels letter, much of what he said was perfect, and exactly what I feel as well. In my last interview my President told me that the last 3 weeks on the mission can be some of the most impact-full weeks on the mission, and it is true... I have been overwhelmed with the many lessons that the Lord continues to teach me. So here are some of the things I continued to learn this past week-

- Patience-
This is something I really have learned on the mission…not only with others, but with myself, my body, my talents, my weaknesses...all of it. I was reminded and humbly taught this yet again this last week as my companion was quite sick this past week, and we had to stay in the house for 2-3 days... that doesn’t seem like much, but on the mission, its a lot of days. But I was able to remember how I felt when I had pneumonia... and how I really needed that time to sleep and get better. The trials and things that happen in our lives are always to help ourselves grow closer to the Lord, and so I am quite, quite grateful for every trial I have had in my life... I read so much of Jesus the Christ this past week as I tried to help my companion, and after a few days, my companion was better, and I had a much greater love for my Savior.

-Humility-
I have really learned that at times we do aaalll that we can, and things don’t work out. And it’s to help us at times to realize that its not us or our talents that are making the work happen, its the Lord. This week we had 3 incredible men set for baptism- Lorival, Marcos, and Julio... the three live far apart, and are awesome, all were progressing and excited for baptism... and then the Inimigo did his part... I don’t know how he managed it, but the baptism of all three fell through. We tried calling and visiting all three... and there was no one home in every single house. It was the weirdest, and one of the most discouraging things that have happened on the mission.. This week was one of those weeks, where you do everything you can, and nothing goes right. And yet, I have learned, its apart of life!

-Be Happy-
yep, and even with all of these things that go wrong, you can still laugh, smile, and find the good things that happen. It was a horribly stressful week, but the good news- is that’s its over, and life goes on. And I am only stronger. There were a lot of funny things that happened, as always... the good news is that my companion that I have right now is one of the best I have had on my mission. Sister Gomes is incredible, we laugh so much together, cry together, teach well together, and find beautiful moments in each day. It is such a blessing to have a good, good friend in my companion. She has a hard life- her parents threw her out of the house when she decided to serve a mission (Her parents left the church like 5 years ago) and she had to sell everything she had to serve a mission. And yet she is fantastically positive. Its true, you can always be happy- it doesn’t matter what is going on in life- happiness is a choice.

-Families are forever-
I have learned soo much on my mission that family ties are eternal. This past week, Tatiane and Francisco (one of the families that will baptize in 2 weeks) lost an uncle. I saw how much this hurt Tatiane... she cried and cried, but for the first time I saw how grateful she was for the gospel. The missionaries had visited her soo much, and she didn’t want anything, but during the last 6 weeks, she made a great change and completely accepted the gospel. I saw the happiness in her eyes and we taught her about temples, and about the spirit world, and the beautiful plan of salvation. She was soo happy, and two days later, she found out she was pregnant. Life always moves on, and it is cool because she will baptize pregnant... and her and Francisco are sooo happy, especially to raise this new baby, and her sister Isabella (the cutest little girl) in the church.
I have also felt so close to my family here on the mission... it sounds so funny to say when I am so far away, but I have learned soo much about the eternal ties that link our family. I have never felt so close to my relatives who have already passed on, as I have felt here on the mission, as well as seeing what great blessings my family has received while I have been here on Brasil.

-Endure-
It is incredibly hard to think that I only have 2 weeks left on the mission. I am trying to do all that I can to finish strong. I keep thinking of cross country, where you always have to sprint the last half mile. I feel like that’s what I am trying to do... Saturday when we arrived at home I can’t remember ever being more tired, or more happy. We had walked so much, and visited so many people, and when you do everything you an- it feel so good. It is always incredible to see how other people are keeping firme in the gospel- Sebastiao is helping all of the missionaries with visits, and all of the members love him1 Rodrigo received the priesthood yesterday and passed the sacrament. He was literally beaming from head to toe as he reverently passed the sacrament. I could tell that he was nervous, but so happy. He will quickly become a leader- it is easy to see... and Regina is so happy as well. Their two little children- Nicolly and Nycolas received baby blessings yesterday as well, and the two were blessed and it said they would receive missions.. I thought of the great blessings of the Lord... to see how the work just continues. I too, was promised in my baby blessing that I would preach the gospel to the nations of the world, and now, to see this dear family baptize- and to hear that their children will serve missions... just makes me realize how this is the Lords work. And it will continue growing and growing… nothing can stop it- no power of the devil, absolutely nothing will stop the gospel from filling the whole earth.


Hoorah for Israel- I love being a missionary, this continues to be one of the hardest, happiest, and most rewarding times in my life.

Have a great week- Be happy, be patient, endure, think of your family, and just laugh when trials come your way. You have to enjoy the journey, because it passes faster then you realize.

I love you all,
Sister Felony Monroe

ps... Pray for Estevam, and for Tatiane and Francisco!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home