Monday, October 15, 2007

One Year Older...ahh caramba!

Yes, tomorrow is my birthday...23!! Crazy. This year I am quite certain that no one will be breaking eggs on my head- oh seja, I have forbidden my companion to do this. Last year I had the worst headache the next day... but its weird to think this last year has passed so fast.

But today I thought it was time, to write about some of the things I am grateful for-

1. My companion is no longer in a wheelchair. On Thursday she was finally feeling better and walked completely normal. It is sooo much easier teaching, making contacts, and feeling the spirit when I am not completely exhausted.

2. Showers. It is getting rather hot again... ok so it really never stopped being hot, but Brazilians loove taking showers, they sometimes take them 4 times a day. If I was at home during the day, I would take one 4 times, but that’s rather impossible.

3. The hymns. This last week we sang a hymn to a man and invited him to come to church, like we do with everyone. But something struck with him ( Sebastian is his name) he actually was ready when we passed by-Sunday morning, and told us that he had really liked how we had talked to him the first time, and explained about the church, which had been different from other missionaries, so he decided to go to church. He has accepted baptism and is pretty awesome.

4. Rice and beans. This week we ate pasta 2 times in a row, and in about 2 hours I was starving again. I really do like rice and beans.

5. Cevada- this is what the Mormons here drink instead of coffee... it doesn’t have caffeine... and it is soo good. I love it with milk!

6. Functioning Families- I am always surprised about how many problems people have... this week was a bit sad as one of our great families, Joao and Bete kind of bit the dust. They are having horrible marriage and family problems, and even with the gospel, some things are impossible to mend... it was so sad seeing how bad choices really can mess up not just one life, but the entire life of a family.

7. Marriages- ok so we are trying to help another great, great family get married- Claudia and Silvio. They are awesome!! And they are so excited to get married and get baptized. The only problem has been getting the paper work- getting married is possibly the most complicated thing here in Brazil. Its quite ridiculous really (as mike will understand) we spent about 6 hours or more calling cartorios allover brazil, trying to find one piece of paper... we have to have them send it here, so we can go to the cartorio here, and then mark the casamento in like 3 weeks... all quite stressful, and yet quite funny. So we are praying that we can find this paper... and that it can arrive here fast!! So at times I am grateful that marriage, when its all said and done, is always worth it... even when I am frustrated with the ridiculous legal system here.

8. Nature- this last week I studied a bit about the creation... I love seeing nature. i have been so long in cities... and right now we are teaching a family that live in a farm about a 40 minute walk from the city. It is soo beautiful walking there, there is a stream, and hills, and palm trees... it makes me so grateful for the beautiful world the Lord has created.

So anyways, there are some random thoughts I had this week...this week really flew by, it was a hard week, lots of disappointments, but in the end, lots of triumphs. As Claudia said to us on Friday- to win a war- there has to be a war... I laughed soo hard when she said that. Its true, to help all of these people progress, and in the end, do all that I have to do, there has to be opposition in all things.

But now we have to run to call another cartorio....I wish I was joking. Pray that this paper is there...

Love you all!
com amor
Sister Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home