Monday, September 03, 2007

Nois é Chiki Nu

Happy first week of school for everyone! Que locura. I enjoyed hearing how school is going for everyone. Here in Brasil, school has been going for quite awhile, the seasons are opposite, and so the school season is opposite as well. Just FYI....

This last week was fantastic as I am getting back into the groove of being a missionary- hooray! I am back to my old self, Sister Santo and I are trabalhando até o Pó... which in English means we are working a lot. And after the tribulations, come the blessings. That would definitely be the theme of our week. During the day we were really, really rejected. I love rejection! Because you know that something good is coming your way... and it is so true. Because when all, and I mean all, of our plans, and pesquisadors fell through, the Lord was there to guide us to new people who will accept the gospel.

So this week was about finding lots of new people, we are teaching some great families, and I am excited to see how they progress. It was amazing to see how the Lord really uses the simple things to help us. Here are some of the small and simple things that happened this week-

-We missed the onibus by one minute, but then grabbed a random different onibus 10 minutes later. As we sang to the people, there was one man in back who had a smile... I talked to him afterwards, and we ended up teaching him all of this week. Graciano. As we taught him the first lesson, and told him that we have a living prophet, he broke out with a huge smile- and said- "Serious? We have a prophet!! Wow!" I have never seen someone so excited to know about prophets. He is really awesome, cried the first time he read the Book of Mormon, and knows it is true, we will see how this week goes because His mom doesn’t seem to be liking us. She is espirita, and lights and prays to a candle, and calls the spirits around... ai ai ai,so we have a battle coming up... we will see how it goes. But it is always exciting just to see how the Lord puts people in our path.

-We are teaching a young girl, Angelica, who is amazing. Yesterday was the fourth time she has come to church, but this time her Mom and her brother came too- yeah! So we will see how this week goes for them. We have to help her mom stop smoking. Vamos lá!

-Sister Santo ate McDonalds for the first time. I went to a pizza rodizia for the first time. (a pizza buffet) This was all in the same day- it was zone conference, and there are like no sisters here in this part of the mission, just 4 of us, it’s kind of weird. But the Pizza was awesome- they have dessert pizza here in brazil, which was my first time eating it- they have chocolate pizza, white chocolate pizza, bananas and cinnamon pizza, um... And Brigadeiro pizza, which is like a really, really chocolate pizza.... It was way good. Pizza here is way different as well, they put corn and palm of hearts and sometimes stroganoff on top of pizza, its just really different, but way good. Yum.

-Yesterday was quite an interesting day, our church is at 4 here because they are doing stuff to the chapel, its a big mess. But in the afternoon as we were walking to help people come to church, and noooo one was home or sleeping and not wanting to go to church, I felt discouraged, but as is my habit these days, I pulled out the hymnal (is that the name in English? I think its right) and started singing hymns to just keep on walking and keep excited. After an hour of walking no one wanted to come with us... we almost missed the bus to go to the other neighborhood and to church, but grabbed it the last second. phew. But even with all the rejection, I didn’t feel too discouraged.
After church, we only had a little bit of time, and once again, all of our plans fell through. But we started knocking doors... and on the very last door we decided to knock, the man said first thing- "yay! Come in come in!" We walked in, completely surprised, and he said to me- "I heard you singing today when you were walking, and it made me so happy. I felt the spirit, even now I feel the spirit, I am so glad you are here." I felt so happy that I hadn’t gotten discouraged, and that even when we could of stopped working and walked home that night, we tried one more door... It turns out He is a member of the church that hasn’t been to church for about 20 years or so... and his girlfriend isn’t a member... so now we will be teaching them. Pretty cool how the Lord works.

Once again I am beginning to ramble; I guess I better get going. These are just some of the things that happened this week. I loove the mission- I love being rejected, because I feel like I can understand a little more about what Christ suffered to help us. Elder Holland was once asked why missionary work is so hard- and He said (This is not exact ok.. I am saying this more or less from memory, so no one please quote me) Of course it will be hard! Salvation wasn’t a easy price for Christ to pay, and so it wont be an easy price for us to pay.

It’s a war down here in Brasil, but its the best war worth fighting- and I am loving it! I love you all, thanks for all of your prayers. Give out a pass a long card today- its way easy- and when was the last time you gave one away?

Beijos-
Sister Melanie Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home