Monday, August 20, 2007

Bittersweet - from Aug 13, 2007

I liked what Mike said in his email about highs and lows. The past 3 weeks have been a lot of that, as I have been in and out of the hospital, struggling with my own health, and also trying to help our dear pesquisadors.

The best things really did happen though- Marines and Adriano were married Friday Morning, which was my first Brazilian wedding. quite interesting, but soooo great. It was soo awesome to see them get married, put on the rings, and be so excited. The best part was seeing how their spirits changed because of their obedience to Gods Commandments! And then the best, best, best thing of all was to see them get baptized the next day. It was amazing.

Sometimes, no, many times on the mission I have no words to describe the joy of these moments. To see how they look so different after baptism, sometimes it seems impossible that the same person can look so different after this simple ordinance. But they really do have a new light around them. Adriano especially... it has been a great privilege to see this man, w ho didn’t want to get married, didn’t want to EVER wear a tie, shirt, etc, change soo much. In the end He was the most firme! He was sooo excited to be baptized, to be married, to receive the Holy Ghost. He bought a tie and shirt, and wore them to be married, to be baptized, and to receive the Holy Ghost.... And he cried and cried as he felt the spirit at his baptism, He will be a great man in the church, and Marines will be right there beside them. Their son Eduardo is super excited to be baptized next year, by his dad!! They told us that they were so excited to be 'Mormon.'

Truly the highs were so great. I also finished o livro de mormon for the third time on my mission on Saturday. I read a looot when I was in the hospital (there wasn’t anything else to do.) I have never read so much so fast. And really- this book is true. I have never felt so comforted, and so overwhlemed my the spirit of this book. Read it! I liked mikes idea of reading in 40 days, it really is a good idea to read it super fast once in awhile.

And wow, here is for the big, big news. I was transferred!!!! After 8 months in Iraja, in the center of Ribeirao Preto, I was transferred to São Jose do Rio Preto. It is a beautiful city, about the same size of Ribeirao Preto, and we live in the center. it seems that I really am a city girl :) This city is about a 4 hour bus ride north of Ribeirao, and it is a part of the mission I have never been too...oh wait, I have only had 2 areas on my mission, so there really aren’t that many parts of the mission I have been to... haha...And my new companion is Sister Santos, I am super excited!

It was really, really hard leaving Iraja. It felt like a part of my heart was breaking, to leave all of these people that I love so much. To see how each of them has grown and changed, the callings they have, the priesthood many of the men have...the light and growth they have made. Mike said it right- you feel like part of the ward so deeply, and so the things that happen to the ward, seem to affect me even more then the proprio members of the ward. It was really, really hard leaving. And as I said goodbye, It was even harder to see them crying... they have never had a missionary stay so long in a ward.

But I know this is the right move. It’s hard to say goodbye, but I have to- because I know there are just new people waiting here in Rio Preto. Yeah!!! It’s just funny because this will most likely be my last area... seeing how I don’t really move around that much. He he.

Oh yes, and the pneumonia is kind of getting better. I feel tired a lot, but I hear that this is normal. Brazilians seem to think that a person with pneumonia can’t eat cold food. (Which if you ask me, is ridiculous). I really just wanted to eat ice cream last week. tudo bem. I am getting sick of soup. ha-ha. But yes, I have to do some more exams to make sure everything is healing up right, but we will see how that goes. it is better because now I am in the area of the mission doctor, wahoo!! I am excited about that, seeing as I always seem to be that 1% person that gets the really weird case of things... yeah.

But anyways, we don’t have too much time, Pday is coming to an end, we spent the major part of our day on the bus traveling here.

But yep, wahoo, new adventures in the mission! Love you all, thanks sooo much for the letters, prayers, and support.

Beijos to all...
Sister Melanie Monroe (the Fel Gibster)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home