Monday, September 10, 2007

Sómente na Missao …only on the mission.

Yes, there are weeks here on the mission that are crazy. This last week, was a crazy week, for several reasons.

We did a full day service project- with the whole stake here- it was 7 hours of painting. Very, very disorganized, I think at the beginning of my mission I would of gone crazy. But I rather expected it, enjoyed it, and just laughed. 7 hours of painting was really hard though, i think it was hardest knowing that afterwards we had to go out and work even more... I was so tired that night after painting and then doing missionary work, I don’t even remember finishing my prayer that night. Ha-ha, but it was good to help out. And the school even turned out almost good. (Dad- I don’t think you would have approved of the painting job- the whole time I was thinking of these volunteers painting Qualcom- and how bad it was looking... I laughed a lot. Someone asked me, wow, you know how to paint, and I just laughed. There were about 100 people with brushed painting here and there, some people sanding, and other people with rollers painting here and there.... just imagine how much paint there was on the ground....hahahaha) yes very funny.

-We found an incredible family- Moises and Eunice! We are super excited about them, we will just have to get them married, they have been together for 29 years... so we will have to get the paperwork done now. They were super excited to come to church, but then the father in law got sick and sent to the hospital Saturday night (once again, I will never understand how the inimigo gets everyone sick Saturday night) and anyhow they couldn’t come to church, but we are excited to work with them, and they already invited all of the neighbors to come to church with us too- and one even went yesterday and brought her kids- yay!!

- We have been working with a family these past 4 weeks... and Cleide with her 2 children were baptized yesterday- Angelica and Rodrigo. It was the craziest baptism I have ever seen in my life. Let me explain. No, there is too much, let me sum up. Angelica was super excited to be baptized, the past 2 weeks it was allll she talked about. (She’s 11) Rodrigo and Cleide wanted to baptized, but weren’t as excited as angelica.

Well anyways, about 5 minutes before the baptism Angelica began to cry, she was scared of the water. (Something absurd because she looves water, loves to swim...) Cleide was soo mad at her. Cleide was super excited to be baptized on Sunday- she really made a great change in her life for all this... and she was super firme. Well she baptized first, and then Rodrigo, and then Anglica entered the water crying. It ended up that she was there for an hour.... crying... crying, neither entering the water to baptized, or wanting to leave because she wanted to be baptized. the elders tried several times but her feet left the water. I even ended up entering the water twice to help calm her and be with her..... it was a big mess. But after an hour, she was baptized, and left SUPER, SUPER happy with her mom, who was even happier. It was soo exhausting. I didn’t even feel happy afterwards because I was so tired. Generally you like to think of baptism as a spiritual, special experience... but anyone who has served a mission (especially in south America...) I think will understand that sometimes it is a fight with the inimigo... I was so tired spiritually after it all... and I am very glad that today is p-day.

-So that was my crazy, crazy week. Somewhere in this week we also drove with a recent convert, Luiza, who has panic syndrome. I never knew that this existed, but it was crazy... this woman is the biggest help here- she is best friends with Cleide and so we love working with her, she’s the biggest missionary, and has the biggest heart. But she is also a terrible driver, and I held my breath several times as we went flying through the city with this panicked lady... it was quite funny...and I am quite sure that the Lord protected us. Ha-ha.

I love Brazil. I love the mission, the experiences are crazy, but the growth is also crazy. I have learned so much of the value of the gospel. As I have seen so many problems here with drugs, alcohol, family abuse, poverty... I really have begun to see even more how the only thing that will save the human race in the end is the gospel. Its incredible. Our leaders are so inspired!

So yep- have a great day everyone! Smile! Laugh! Life is crazy, and I love it...every day is a marvelous gift, I love it!

Beijos-
Sister Melanie Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home