Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Series of Fourtunate and Unfortunate Events

There are always a lot of crazy things that happen in the lives of missionaries. Every week when I read Mike´s letters, and I reflect to think of what to write, I am always amazed at how wacky and crazy my life is. But then I realize, it’s always been this way. I am a complete and crazy blonde who has been set loose in Brazil. (Oh yes by the way, I am blonde again... this sun is so strong that even though I died my hair, the blonde is already back again.)

So yes what made this week crazy? Let’s start with my birthday- this day we had interviews with the pres, had a district meeting, in which the elders returned to being 19 year old boys and did lots of stupid things such as giving me poop for my bday present. Thank you elders... But then we returned home, and it was late afternoon because of interviews, and Sister Cunha and I decided to take back the wheelchair to the store where we had rented it... only that we live in a really, really steep hill... and Sister Cunha decided to sit in the wheelchair and have one last ride... I had the distinct feeling not to push her down the hill, but I didn’t think anything of it (me being blonde ahhh)

When I say that this hill is steep, I am not doing it justice... trucks and cars aren’t even allowed to go down this hill it is so steep... and so I don’t know why I thought that a wheelchair would be ok.. so the wheelchair gained speed, gained speed... and yep, we completely wiped out. It was awful. The wheelchair went crashing to one side, Sister Cunha fell down, I fell down... we both have battle wounds. We could only laugh, because it was so stupid... and we were both in a great deal of pain. I have a huge, huge burn on my knee... that has been constantly bleeding this past week. great. Sister Cunha only scraped a little of her arm, she was in some pain, but it is healing fast.

The worst part is that my right knee hurt so bad, I was so scared that I had pulled a ligament or something... I couldn’t even walk on it that night because of the pain... I took some Advil, and prayed and prayed like crazy. I felt so bad, not because of the pain, but because I had blatantly not listened to the spirit... but as I prayed and prayed that night, pleading with the Lord that this problem could be cured so that I could work and fulfill and finish all of my mission, I felt a great peace in my heart, and finally slept that night.

The next morning I woke up- with almost no pain in my knee, and completely back to normal. It was a miracle, probably the biggest health miracle that I have seen happen to me... and I felt so completely moved that the Lord has patience with the stupid things that we do, and used this as a moment to help me grow in my faith. I feel so profoundly grateful that the Lord has given me the strength to continue.

That day, Wednesday was a great day... we were able to set a baptism date with Sebastiao, a 48 year old man. We met him last week, on Saturday, as we were walking on a hill... he was outside, and we felt impressed to talk to him and invite him to go to church, we sang him a hymn, and that was that... but he felt something different- went to church the next day... and started moving his life like crazy. We taught him all week, and it was awesome to see how the Lord really began answering his prayers and helping him in his life. He moved 180 percent.... he had already visited almost every church, and was really searching for the church, and so he could recognize the truth when he found it.

He has been reading the Book of Mormon like crazy, and all of the booklets we gave him on the lessons... He was baptized yesterday, and as we visited with him afterwards and later that night, he had the light of Christ so strongly in his eyes... and he told us he felt like he was flying. He said he felt "awesome." Really, it is amazing to see that every person has a different time table to be converted... His was so fast, but he already has a strong, strong, testimony.

So that was a great blessing, to be able to help Sebastiao. We have some other young girls we have been teaching for a few weeks that are progressing, another man that was a contact that miraculously showed up at church yesterday as well, and we also began teaching another family- that is INCREDIBLE. (But... they aren’t married... ahhhh) But they already received a response to their prayers, and so that is exciting.

Really, this last week was a series of crazy events, but in the end it all turned out better then I had expected. I am so grateful for every experience, for every chance that I have to know my Savior better, for every difficulty that I have, to understand the price that He paid for each of us, for every joy that I have, to understand what is real joy- the joy of salvation and eternal life, that we each receive because of Jesus Christ.

I love you all; please pray for these families that we are teaching- Rodrigo and Regina, and Claudia and Silvio... they need the prayers. Beijos-
Sister Felony Melanie Anne Monroe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home